Monday, January 30, 2012

In the mail

1. Tyson sent me this interesting article on scientism as it relates to the attempts to apply materialism to the mind. It's an appreciative review of the book Aping Mankind: Neuromania, Darwinitis and the Misrepresentation of Humanity by secular humanist Raymond Tallis.

2. Matko, remembering this post, points out that communism, fascism, and Nazism all share the same origin in Karl Marx. He suggests I read -- in this order -- The Birth of Fascist Ideology by Zeev Sternhell and Marxism, Fascism, and Totalitarianism: Chapters in the Intellectual History of Radicalism by A. James Gregor. I'm a little preoccupied with my dissertation at the moment, so I encourage my readers to beat me to the punch.

1 comment:

IlĂ­on said...

"2. Matko, remembering this post, points out that communism, fascism, and Nazism all share the same origin in Karl Marx."

And, utimately, in the so-called Enlightenment.