Monday, June 18, 2012

On Anti-Semitism in Europe

Walter Russell Mead has been blogging a lot on European anti-Semitism recently: see here, here, here, here, here, here, and here (and actually read them; Mead is a voice of deep moral clarity). On one of those posts I left a comment regarding something I experienced last month. I was getting off a train at Brussels-Midi and, while waiting for the train to stop, stood by a door that had the "danger: electricity" sign on it to warn passengers not to open it. Under the sign, someone had scrawled, "Only Jews inside".

I stood there staring at it for about half a minute as it sank in. I was standing on a train in western Europe looking at a casual statement wishing death to Jews. It made me sick to my stomach.

1 comment:

Toby Trompeter said...

Thank you so much for your caring and concern. There must be ZERO tolerance for anti-Semitism - we cannot just let this poisonous insanity creep back out into the light of day. See my Facebook page and please encourage others to join. Thank you!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zero-Tolerance-for-Anti-Semitism/277787282255459